Does A Musty Smell Means Water Damage

If you live in an area where storms and floods are common, you must have definitely experienced problems due to water accumulation or moisture inside your home. Even a water leakage can cause water damage to your furniture. If you frequently experience a distinctive musty smell or odour, it may be a red flag of water damage inside your house. The problem of musty odour, if overlooked at the start, may result in extensive damage to the property, including the walls, floors, etc. To avoid massive expenses at a later stage, it is essential to take action immediately with the help of professionals offering water damage restoration services.

What Can Cause the Musty Smell or Odour at Your Home?



A musty smell may be a warning sign of water leakage from pipes, sprinklers, toilets, geysers, water boilers, toilets, etc. Clogged drains and gutters may also cause a musty odour at home.
Water leakage, broken pipes, blockages, and any other plumbing issues need to be addressed immediately. A prolonged problem ignored for a long time may result in damage to the furniture, floors, and walls. Water damage from a specialist is a must to avoid high expenses in the future.

Growth of Mould

Damp, warm, and humid conditions are ideal for the growth of mould and slime. Moulds are a type of fungi. The musty smell resembles smells of wet socks or decay, possibly coming from the growth of mould. The unpleasant musty odour, also known as mouldy odour, is due to the release of microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) as the mould grows and spreads throughout the house.

Water damage may cause mould to grow and spread rapidly, thus causing damage to the house structures. Moulds cause respiratory diseases like asthma and even allergies. The mycotoxins produced by certain moulds are even toxic. If you see mould growing or suspect mould growth, you will need professional help to remove it. Companies that offer water damage restoration services specialise in getting rid of mould as well.

Moisture in The Home

The cause of a musty odour at home due to water damage can be the high moisture percentage. Moisture sitting inside your home will cause the growth of mould and bacteria and negative impact the airflow as well. Being a homeowner, you need to get the source of moisture investigated at the earliest and go for water damage restoration services.

What Can You Do To Get Rid of the Musty Smell at Home?

Use a dehumidifier to get rid of excess moisture at home. Open the doors and windows for clean and fresh air to circulate. Use baking soda, which is a natural odour absorber. Spray white distilled vinegar over the hard surfaces.

Get in touch with Lotus Cleaning Melbourne for expert water damage cleaning service, flood damage cleaning, carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning.

Read Next Blog:

Major Reasons for Water Damage Carpet


Lotus Awards

lotus cleaning award

We Accept

Payment Method

© 2017 Lotus Cleaning. All rights reserved