How To Remove Smoke Smell from Upholstery
Smoking inside the house often leaves a smoke smell lingering around and makes the whole ambience uncomfortable. Using ventilation often helps in removing the smoke smell from the home, but what to do with the upholstered furniture with a nasty smoke smell?
We will share some top do it yourself hacks that you may apply to get the smoke smell out of upholstery completely.
DIY Hack to Remove Smoke Smell from Upholstery
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Shaving foam
- Upholstery shampoo
- A clean cloth
Stepwise Guide to Remove the Smoke Residues from Upholstery
With an effective DIY hack, you can get rid of the smoke smell from upholstery without any need for upholstery cleaning services. Follow the following steps:
- Dust salt over vertical areas of upholstery. Be generous while dusting.
- Leave it for 4 to 6 hours to soak up the smoke smell effectively and then vacuum clean the salt from the upholstery. You can also use baking soda instead of salt to soak up the smoke smell.
- Now, repeat the same process by dusting salt over vertical areas. Leave it for 6 hours and then vacuum clean it.
- To treat the stain of smoke, you must use isopropyl alcohol. Damp a cloth in the isopropyl alcohol and clean the stain with the cloth.
- If the stain is still visible, you can blot clean the smoke stain with hydrogen peroxide.
- The above-mentioned steps should get the smoke smell out of upholstery. If you still experience the smoke smell from the upholstery, continue with the following steps.
- Apply some portion of shaving foam to the upholstery.
- Use a clean cloth and start scrubbing the upholstery gently.
- Once cleaning is finished, clean the upholstery. You can use either water to rinse the upholstered furniture or you can use a clean cloth that is moistened into the water to clean shaving foam.
- If you are still experiencing the smoke smell in your upholstered furniture, then you can use upholstery cleaning shampoo to get the smoke smell out of upholstery.
- Simply, follow the instructions given by the shampoo manufacturer to clean the upholstered furniture to remove the smoke smell and get results like professional upholstery cleaning services.
Value Added Tips and Suggestions:
- If your upholstery is not too heavy and if you can, you should take it to the garden to air out the smoke from your upholstery.
- If you have steam cleaning equipment, you can also use it to steam clean the upholstery and get the smoke smell out of upholstery completely.
- You can also use cornstarch instead of salt or baking soda for removing the smoke smell from your upholstered furniture