What is Black Mold and How To Get Rid of It
Mold is a form of fungus that grows from minute spores found all over the place. While mold spores remain dormant, they begin to reproduce when the humidity rises above 70%. That means when the temperature and humidity levels rise, it's possible for mould to start growing in your home. You might notice black or coloured patches on walls or ceilings, or you might see what looks like fine dust-coating furniture and other household items. Sometimes you might smell a musty odour in your home. Luckily, here are some preventative steps you can take to help keep black mould away! According to the Environment Protection Authority (EPA), all mould can create health concerns under the correct conditions. There is proof that exposure to mould can result in allergic reactions like itchy eyes, a runny nose, and throat as well as flu-like symptoms like headache, lethargy, and diarrhoea.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold can grow both indoors and outdoors. A typical mould spore is around 0.0002 inches (10 macrons) in size and may grow anywhere there is enough humidity, food, and temperature in the air to absorb moisture. Mold can get into your home via open doors, windows, vents, and heating and cooling systems. Mold can be spread through clothing, shoes, bags, and pets. Mold reproduces by dispersing spores into the atmosphere. These spores can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to them.
How Long Does Mold Take to Grow?
Mold spores are found in the air and can enter your home through open doors, windows, or ventilation systems. Once mold spores land on a wet or damp surface, they begin to grow. Mold can grow in as little as 48 hours.
Signs of Mold in your House
If you think you may have mold in your house, there are a few things you can look for to confirm your suspicions. Mold typically appears as black, green, or white spots, and can often be found in damp or humid areas. It can also have a musty smell. If you see or smell mold, it's important to take action right away to clean it up and prevent mold growth.
How to Get Rid of Mold
Don't panic if you see mold in your home! While mold can be unsightly and even cause health problems, it's usually not too difficult to prevent mold growth. Follow these steps for mold prevention tips:
1. Ventilate the affected area. Mold thrives in moist, humid environments. To prevent mold growth, you need to dry out the area where it's growing. Allow fresh air to circulate by opening windows and doors. If the weather is nice, you can also set up fans to help ventilate the area.
2. Clean the affected area with a solution of bleach and water. Mix one cup of bleach with one gallon of water and use this solution to scrub away the mold growth. When working with bleach, always use gloves and a mask!
3. Dry out the area completely. Once you've cleaned the moldy area, make sure to dry it out completely. This will prevent new mold from growing. Use fans or a dehumidifier to remove any remaining moisture from the air.
4. any leaks or other sources of moisture. Mold needs moisture to grow, so it's important to fix any leaks or other sources.
If you find mold in your house, it is important to take immediate action to remediate the problem. Mold can cause major health problems, thus it should not be overlooked. There are a few different ways for water damage restoration in Melbourne, and the best method will depend on the extent of the problem. If you have a small amount of mold, you may be able to clean it up yourself with bleach and water. However, if the mold is widespread or located in hard-to-reach places, it is best to hire a professional mold remediation company. Whatever route you choose, make sure that you take care of the problem as soon as possible to protect your health and your home.
Don't allow mold to take over your home; instead, live in a greener and healthier environment.
Get in touch with Lotus Cleaning Melbourne for expert water damage cleaning services, flood damage cleaning, water damaged carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning.
Read Next Blog:
Importance of Timely Water Damage Restoration Specialist